Since one of WTB’s goals is to educate ourselves, getting involved in the WTB Book Club is a great way to do that. Many of the books focus on social issues or the impact of faith in our world today. You’ll learn a lot from the perspectives of women of many faiths and traditions. Plus, it’s just a great way to get to know others involved in WTB.
You don’t have to come to the Book Club every month, but come when you can. Call Jennifer Roberts Crittenden at 315-633-2817 and let her know you’re interested. Jennifer will give you the location of the current meeting. The Book Club generally meets on the evening of the 4th Monday of the month, but sometimes the days/times vary during winter. You’ll read the book beforehand and then discuss it at an informal evening gathering at one woman’s home.
Looking for a good book to read? For a variety of excellent choices, check our list of books discussed in past years by our Book Club here.
2019 Book List and Meeting Dates
- Jan. 28: Fruit of the Drunken Tree by Ingrid Rojas Contreras
- Feb. 25: Cancelled due to bad weather
- Mar. 25: The Milk Lady of Bangalore by Shoba Narawan
- Apr. 22: The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid
- May 20: Cancelled
- June 24: The Monk of Mokha by Dave Eggers
- July 22: God’s Hotel: A Doctor, a Hospital, and a Pilgrimage to the Heart of Medicine by Victoria Sweet
- Aug. 26: Butterfly Mosque: A Young American Woman’s Journey to Love and Islam by Willow Wilson
Sep. 23: The Girl in the Blue Coat by Monica Hesse
Oct. 28: The Embattled Ladies of Little Rock: 1958-1963, the Struggle to Save Public Education at Central High by Vivion Lenon Brewer
Dec. 9: Ayesha at Last by Uzma Jalaluddin (Fiction) A modern-day Muslim Pride and Prejudice for a new generation of love. A smart young Muslim Canadian woman navigates the complexities of career, love and family in this lively homage to a Jane Austen classic.
2020 Book List and Meeting Dates
Jan. 27: Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond
Feb. 24 – A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II by Sonya Purnell
Mar. 23 – The Secrets Between Us by Thrity Umrigar
- Apr. 27 – The Great Fire: One American’s Mission to Rescue Victims of the 20th Century’s First Genocide by Lou Ureneck
May 25 – The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
June 22 – Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps that Explain Everything about the World by Tim Marshall
For information about meeting location, contact Jennifer Roberts Crittenden, 315-633-2817.